Halloween Candy

Photobucket
This is what we are going to give out to the kids trick or treating at our house this year. An individually wrapped jelly bean. Pretty generous eh? Of course I'm kidding. I just thought this was hilarious. We took the kids to Cabela's and let them chose some candy. They wanted a package of Jelly Bellys. We knew they wouldn't be cheap but were shocked at the check out to find the package was $7.50!! I couldn't believe Keith still bought them.

In the past few years I've tried to hand out non-candy items to the kids. This year I picked up all sorts of glow sticks but Keith pointed out that the kids might mistake them for candy. Even if we light them for the kids they still might be mistaken for candy the next day when the light goes out. I'm so bummed. I thought that would have been a cool thing to give away. I found some pencils and erasers to give out but also went ahead and bought some gum tape because I got a really good deal on them. I'm kind of regretting buying them because I really think non candy items are the best. Oh well. No big deal. I'll try again next year.

I do love Halloween. I always thought it was so much fun to dress up and get candy. Now, I really enjoy giving the treats away and seeing all the kids come to the door. The school parade is great too!

6 comments:

Jillo said...

Seriously??? They individually wrap jelly beans?????

My favorite house to trick of treat to was a guy who worked at Wonder Bread and gave little loaves of bread away. It was awesome. We would make baby sandwiches with them.
So lets see, what would be really cool for folks that work with computers to give away?
A mini laptop?

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Jill, that's a brilliant idea except I'd have to make sure my porch light was only on from 2 a.m. to 2:05 a.m.

The loaves of bread do sound fun. Really fun.

Amy said...

I love Halloween! We just got done decorating and last night we went to the corn maze in Pleasant Grove! SOOO much fun...your kids would LOVE it! I haven't even thought about the candy thing yet, but I think it's safe to say we will not be doing packages of Jelly Belly's!

Jen said...

Bummer about the light sticks! I thought that sounded cool, but that would be a bummer if the kids ate them! Last year one of Sarah's friends put one in her mouth to hold it and bit into it on accident. Her mouth was glowing for a little while even though her mom and I wiped it off as best we could. It was kinda funny and kinda scary. (o: Oriental Trading has some cool little prizes that are good alternatives. I'm totally with you - they are way better than candy. I got some of those sticky guys that you throw at the wall and they "tumble" down.

Gina said...

I am so stoked about getting a non-candy item now. My favorite growing up was the loaf of bread too. Loved it! Duh!

DottieLou said...

I too love the little kids that come the trick or treat... but i get annoyed with the 10pm teenagers.. ...we generally let the little kids pick what they want.. they are so cute and generally only take one even when we try to get them to take a hand full... hmmm maybe one is a handful for those tiny hands.