Wahoooo!!!!

No more training wheels! He figured it out, on his third time out to practice. Sunday night I made him ride his bike to my mom's who lives about a half mile away. He was so nervous. I told him his goal was to ride for 4 seconds without help. He was scared even though I was right there. Monday night his dad helped him and within 2 minutes he was doing this:




I couldn't believe it! I thought it was such a lucky thing Keith was around to see this. Later when I mentioned this to Keith, he said it wasn't not luck. He thinks he just knows how to motivate Luke and pointed out he was there when Luke swam across the pool for the first time too. Hummm... I still think it's luck but I do agree that Luke probably wants to impress his dad and works a little harder for him.

Within about 10 minutes Luke was doing this:

Within 20 minutes Luke was able to start and stop by himself and could ride around the block! Today he was riding around like it was old news. So exciting!!!

6 comments:

Barb said...

That's awesome! It only took 11 years in this house to get the short person to ride a bike.

Stacy said...

Way to go Luke!

Boquinha said...

Awesome! That's so exciting! First words, steps, no training wheels, learning to read, learning to know oneself--LOVE LOVE LOVE it! SO exciting!!

So does Keith hope he does that bike hopping thing you've shown us or does that make him nervous? (Does it make you nervous?)

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

I don't know that Keith has any goals like that for Luke. It would probably make him really nervous but who knows what he'll feel when Luke is older. Keith is typically much more protective of the kids than I am when it comes to doing stunts or normal every day kid stuff. For example, if my kids wanted to climb a tree, I would let them but Keith probably wouldn't. My limits come when the kids do things that could seriously injure them. In the tree climbing example, I would expect the kids to be careful and I would make sure they knew the risks but I would allow them to climb as long as I knew that if an accident happened the very very worst possible thing that could happen would be a broken arm or leg. Trust me, I would avoid this happening all I could but I think it's important kids run, play and discover. Today Keith was talking about getting Luke knee and elbow pads for riding his bike. I think a helmet is enough but I would support Keith and make Luke wear the other pads if he really thought it was important.

Ha ha. Don't ask me questions... I'm long winded.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

What are you like boquinha? Are you extra protective?

Boquinha said...

I lean more protective though I'm not a "helicopter parent" and I don't tend to hover.

That's funny. I wouldn't have guessed that Keith would be so protective given that he does that kind of biking! So interesting!!