Confession? Declaration?

About 5 years ago I started a fitness program with Total Health and Fitness. I did so well on the program. I started because I was having a hard time losing my pregnancy weight. In four months I lost 22 lbs and went from 35% body fat to 18.9% body fat. I was so proud of myself. A week or two before I finished the program I got pregnant with Megan. I quickly got out of the habit of exercising and eating really well. When I’m pregnant or nursing I have this weird thing where I literally can’t feel full. When I was almost done nursing Megan I finally started recognizing that I could feel full if I ate really healthy balanced meals. I didn’t gain any extra weight from that but I didn’t lose any of my pregnancy weight and I’m still carrying it plus a little more. Did I really just admit that?

I am starting Total Health and Fitness again today. I’m so excited. I really did enjoy this before. I’ve resisted going back because #1 I was embarrassed to go back, #2 it’s expensive, #3 its super hard work, and #4 I know everything I’m supposed to do anyway. I’ve started some other great fitness programs in the past few years but my heart just wasn’t into it. I’ve been way to stressed out and have felt too overwhelmed to really lose my weight before now. A year ago I finally started feeling better and just this month I’m feeling like I am starting to get on top of things again. I’m so excited to start this program! The program is really cool because you work with a trainer who customizes a fitness and nutrition plan for you. They weigh measure and test your body fat every week. Trust me – having a totally fit guy pinch your stomach fat is MOTIVATING!!! I hate that part so much but it really makes me want to work hard. This program is great for me but I do know a lot of people that hate it because you eat the same balanced meals every day for a week. It doesn’t bother me. I just love not having to think about what I’m going to eat next and knowing that what I’m eating is going to help me reach my goal. I'm way healthier eating this way because I tend to eat a lot of carbs when I don't have a plan.

Today I realized that I’m actually 10 lbs heavier than the last time I started. GEEZ! The good news is that I’m 7% lower in body fat than the last time I started. I’ve been working out and lifting weights the past 9 months with little change to my weight. I feel better but it’s nice to actually know that despite my lack of weight loss, I’m making changes to my body. Body fat changes are much more important than weight although I need both.

I'm leaving now to meet with my coach. I'm excited to set some goals.

8 comments:

Jillo said...

Hooray for you! You looked super amazing last time you did it. I am going to be jealous, I can just tell. =)
YEAH FOR APRIL!! (That is your cheer to get you started)

Boquinha said...

Awesome! And good for you!! I absolutely LOVE when people feel this open--very healthy. I'm so impressed. :)

Renae said...

I'm super excited for you! I've been trying to be healthier as well in the last few months... but I think my heart just isn't in it as well. It's frustrating, because I know I should eat healthier and exercise in order to stay healthy. I realize that I'm only going to get older, and the sooner I start a good routine the better off I'll be. Good luck with your training! It's hard work, but it'll be totally worth it. Now if only I could convince myself of that...

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! Making the choice is half the battle! You'll do so great!

J Fo said...

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to have a personal trainer. I think that it's my years of team sports with coaches yelling at, or, er...motivating me; I have a hard time with self motivation. Good Luck!

Barb said...

That's fantastic, April! I started working on my weight loss/shape up efforts on Sunday. I only have 52lbs. to go. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Right now it seems totally impossible.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Barb, you'll do awesome! I was totally impressed with you the last time you lost weight!

Gina said...

Super impressive that you posted that, you lost that, and that you will do it again. I am curious about the price of such a thing. I SO need that motivation. Maybe I could pack the kids into a pack-n-play while I train. Is that allowed?

Bytheway, I love that you post so often. You ARE on top of things.