My Plan

Is anyone curious about the plan I'm on with Total Health and Fitness?

I personally think it is the greatest plan because it's all about eating healthy and working out. No gimmicks. The program focuses on losing fat, not weight. Losing weight will happen but I think it's neat to focus on gaining muscle. I hate how old I feel and love the idea of being stronger, not just skinnier.

Every week I meet with my coach for a new week plan. He wants me to start by gaining some muscle this week and possibly gain some weight. He's starting me off a pretty easy on weights and excercise. I thought it was weird because I told him I was already going to the gym, but I totally trust him because I've done this plan before and I know it works.

Week One Cardio
15 minutes light treadmill, 2 days this week. Even though I'm over weight, he wants me to gain weight this week so that's why the cardio is so darn light. Eventually I'll get up to 3-4 days of hard cardio for 40 minutes, but that's about all it takes on this plan.

Week One Resistance Training
One day for arms and one day for legs and abs. I have about 8 specific weights to lift two times for 12-15 reps. I'm supposed to push to failure. Again, I'm very surprised he isn't having me start with more since I've already been going to the gym, but it's all good. I know it will work. Eventually I'll get up to 4 (maybe 5) days of resistance training a week. I'll work my abs each day and rotate arms and legs each day.

Each week is totally different on this plan depending on how your body reacts and what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

Week One Food Plan

  • First thing - workout shake (only if I'm lifting weights that day).
  • Breakfast - Bowl of Cheerios and fruit, non-fat skim milk, and one and a half eggs.
  • Snack - Wheat Thins, cottage cheese and watermelon.
  • Lunch - Turkey sandwich on low calorie wheat bread, grapes.
  • Snack - Peanut butter bar (they totally help satisfy my sweet tooth).
  • Dinner - Chicken breast, brown rice and zucchini.
  • Snack - If I really need a snack at night I can have some protein (chicken or turkey).

Every week I know exactly what I have to do to succeed. I love not having to think about what I'm going to eat or do at the gym. I have a plan, I will follow it and I will be successful.

My goal is to lose 22 lbs and go from 28% body fat to 17% body fat in four months. I don't plan to go on and be totally muscular like some of the people they show on their website, but I do hope you'll be able to see some definition in my arms. At 17% you should be able to. I'm going to do this!! It's taken me forever to stop mourning my pregancy weight (geez, Meg is 4) but I'm finally over that and ready to go.

5 comments:

Renae said...

Wow, that doesn't sound that bad at all! That's totally do able. My best friend from high school recently graduated from BYU with a degree in Fitness and Wellness. She wants to be a trainer. She took a fitness instructor class, and I was her guinea pig. It was really nice to have someone coaching you and tell you what you need for your body. It helped a lot. I started seeing a difference in my cardiovascular performance... and then Christmas hit, and I haven't done it much since. Isn't it funny that just having someone coaching you, and telling you what you need makes such a big difference? Good luck! You can totally do it!

Barb said...

That sounds totally sensible, but do you eat the same thing every day? I couldn't handle that. I'd be subbing fish in for the chicken a few days for sure!

You're going to do great April! My goal is to be down 40lbs. by 12/31/08.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Yes, the only weird thing about the plan is eating the same things for a week. It's great for me though because I do so bad with choices. I love knowing exactly what I'm going to do.

Gina said...

This is so motivating. I want this program to work for you, AND I want it to work for me. That is crazy to eat the same thing all week, but I like doing that too. Are you kidding me? You don't have to think of what to cook for dinner come 5:00 every night. Cool! Keep us, or rather me, posted so as to keep us, or rather me, on track. Go girl!

susan said...

April,
Angie told me to check out your blog (to see the pages you did with your kids' handwriting)and now I found this. Hopefully it will work for me too. I put your name as the referral. I love your blog. Your pictures are amazing and you are so good at journaling. Thanks for the inspiration! Susan