30 Days of Science - Day 6


Continuing on from yesterday's discussion on that fun word hydrophobic...
Luke would be so proud.  I sound like a real geek even though it took a 10 year old to teach me all of this. 

Another hydrophobic product is SOAP! Soap is actually a very long molecule that is hydrophobic (fearing water) on one end and hydrophillic (attracting water) on the other end.  The water sticks to the end that attracts water and the oil sticks to the end that fears water.  When you rinse the soap off your hands, the oils on your body stick to the soap, and the soap sticks to the water.  

Try this really easy experiment on how soap cleans.  Note:  this picture shows our experiment within a minute or two of shaking the jars.  Each had the same amount of blue food coloring.  If you let them sit a lot longer the soap one does separate, although not as much.  Make sure you watch the non-soap jar closely for a while right after you shake it.  It's fun to watch it slowly separate.

1 comments:

Jason & Kelli West said...

April I must admit I have been having fun reading each day the science project you have done. I can't wait to do this with my boys when they are older!!