30 Days of Science - Day 4


Most of the things I'll share on this 30 Days of Science are things my son has taught me.  He is such a smart kid when it comes to science.  Luke read about this experiment in a book and then had a blast trying it out and teaching me why it works. 

Vibrating Coin Experiment
All you need is a empty water bottle, a quarter and a freezer.  We don't have any of those measly quarters lying around so we had to use a gold dollar. 

The experiment is really easy.  However rather than type it out, I'll let you read how to do the experiment here.  Make sure you read the short result section so you can explain what is happening to your kids, or if you have a little scientist like I do, have him read it and explain it to you :)

Tips: 
*Rather than say the coin is vibrating you may choose to say the bottle is burping to get your kids to laugh and have even more fun.  Why do kids like potty talk so much?
*When you are explaining about how the molecules speed up and start vibrating more you can talk about how heat is energy and that cold is simply the absence of heat.  When the air gets colder the air molecules slow down.  Isn't it interesting that heat is simply molecules moving around quickly?  This is an important basic concept I didn't even remember/know until my son taught me.
*If you can't remember what exactly a molecule is read up here


0 comments: