30 Days of Science - Day 19


The kids and I went up to Park City a couple months ago, early in the morning to be on the news.  My kids are the ones in the picture with newscaster, Casey Scotts hands on each of their shoulders.  We were happy to go even though we had to get up around 5:00 a.m. because we got to go sledding at Gargoza Park.  Unfortunately, it was so super cold (negative 6 degrees) that even with all of the layers of clothes I put on my kids, they were just too cold to have too much fun sledding.  They only went down the hill twice and rode the mini snowmobiles for a couple minutes before they had enough.    They did have fun being on the news though.  I also think they enjoyed going to school to tell everyone all they had done before most of them had even woke up.  My kids aren't very assertive so they stood in the back of the crowd during the filming.  You could barely see them on camera, but they were really happy just being on TV.

TVs are interesting.   The old TVs were much bigger than the newer TVs they have because they have big cathrode-ray tubes in them.  When a video signal comes into the TV, the cathrode-ray tube shoots beams of energy (electrons) at the back of our TV screens.  These beams are so precise that they can hit just one tiny red, green, or blue point on the screen and that color shines.  The cathrode-ray tube hits thousands of these lights at a time and that creates the TV picture. 

Newer Plasma TVs are much smaller because they use tiny compartments filled with gas (plasma).  Plasma is an important element in florescent light. Electricity charges the gas, which creates energy that lights up the colors on the screen.

Ok, so here are the parts I don't understand yet.  It absolutely baffles my mind how the video signal is sent in the first place.  I'm also baffled by how telephones and radios work too.  I understand the concepts of radio waves, but it still seems impossible to me.  I told this to Luke once and he did a great job explaining it to me.  Haha.  He is so smart!  I was so impressed with his knowledge but it still didn't help.  I think the hardest thing for me is actually believing that these signals can be sent so efficiently.  It's amazing to me!  Perhaps I'll be interested in understanding more later, but for now I'm happy to simply pretend it's magic :)

0 comments: