30 Days of Science - Day 1


Anyone want to guess what you are looking at?

These are Insta-Worms!  You can make them long, short, skinny, thick or even into little dots.  It's a fun Chemistry experiment.  We used a kit Luke got for his birthday.  You can buy them from Steve Splangler.  Make sure to click on the experiment and video tabs so can learn more.  The Steve Spangler website is very informative if you click on all of the tabs. 

There are also a lot of learning opportunities with this wacky stuff.  It's a fun chemistry experiment.  You take a liquid that is used to thicken pies and other things called sodium alginate (aka worm goo) and squeeze it out of a little bottle into a calcium solution.  Immediately the liquid worm goo turns into a solid can look like a worm if you squeeze the liquid the right way.  My picture shows a globby mess we had fun creating. 

When you are playing with this fun kit you can talk about molecules.  The sodium alginate (worm goo)  is actually a long chain of molecules called a polymer.  Later in this 30 days of science I'll show you some other really fun polymer activities. 

For now, if you want an easy way to learn more about molecules and polymers you can read up here.  Truthfully, I  rarely know any of these science terms until I do a quick google search and start experimenting with my kids.  My little scientist Luke teaches me a lot too.  It's amazing how much I learn either from my kids or in an attempt to teach my kids.





0 comments: