Romanitic Proposal

I just read a beautiful marriage proposal between my third great grandparents on my Great Grandma Payne's (Elva Peck's) side of the family.

My third great-grandmother Charlotte Russon was born into a poor family in Worcestershire, England. When she was 17 a wealthy sheep owner, Peter Nebeker, offered to send Charlotte to live with his family in Utah. After a lot of consideration her parents consented to let her go and the Nebekers welcomed her and did all they could to make her happy.

Charlotte had only been at the Nebekers a short time when a young man from Lehi, Elisha Peck, came to see her - walking all 30 miles of the way. He had met her in England when he was a missionary there and saw her name in the Deseret News on a list of immigrants arriving from England. They had a happy reunion and corresponded with each other for the next year. Elisha came to see her in Salt Lake as often as possible. He was afraid to tell her he loved her, but he made up his mind to ask her to be his bride. He began by saying, "Lottie, I have been out here from England and you can't imagine how lonesome it is for me. My dear mother died when I was three and my father died when I was five. I have no one to care for me, only both of my sisters and they are both married. I love you with all of my heart, but I am only a poor boy. I have nothing on earth to offer you, only myself. It is sure hard for me to ask you to leave this beautiful home and plant, but it seems impossible for me to live without you. Dear Lottie, under these circumstances will you consent to be my wife?" When he had finished there were tears in both their eyes and she said, "Elder Peck, I have loved you from the first time we met at your home. I am also poor. I have nothing to give you, only myself. Do you think we can make a go of it with both of us having nothing?" He answered, "We are not afraid to try, are we?" Both of them laughed and he took her into his arms for the first time and kissed her.

Awww... what a legacy.

If anyone happens to Google my grandparent's names and finds this post, I'm trying to find information on Elisha's grandparents. Elisha's parents are Elisha Peck and Phebe Turner. Phebe's parents (who I am specifically looking for information on) are Thomas Turner and Ruth Rowles (although I've seen it listed on new.familysearch as Ruth Rowler).

4 comments:

Emily said...

THAT is awesome. I love it.

Angie LeBaron said...

I love what you are doing. Obviously I have a special interest in what you are doing. It is really fun to read. That is awesome that you have caught the bug. I want one of those charts you made. Can we swap your name for mine and print it?

Boquinha said...

Awwww. How did you find out the actual words they spoke? Did someone journal it?

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Yes, they journaled it, although I haven't seen the original. I read this in my grandma's, "My Heritage" book she wrote.