Thrilling!

Photobucket

Saturday I got to participate in the Salt Lake Bike Tour which was part of the Salt Lake Marathon. Just me and 1,500 of my closest friends on bikes for 26 miles :) Actually, I was alone, but thought there has got to be some people in that mass crowd I could be friends with. It was so much fun. I wish I had something better than my iPhone to take pictures of the starting line because those pictures could have been really cool and I can't find pictures of it online anywhere! Not even from past years. It's hard to see how far back the bikes really were on the starting line.

Photobucket

I was really nervous for this ride because I haven't been riding my bike very much and I have never ridden this far in such a short amount of time. We had to finish in 1 hour and 45 minutes. I ended up finishing the 26 miles in 1 hour, 44 minutes, and 39 seconds! Haha! I thought that was kind of funny. I could have gone faster, but I was nervous about pacing myself since I didn't know what to expect. Overall I would say it was actually a pretty easy ride. I got a decent work out, but half of the first half of the ride was downhill. FUN!!! I loved it!!!

I loved cruising around the city I love. MY CITY! We started at the U of U and rode down into Sugarhouse right past the house I used to live in on 2700 South and 1700 East! How cool is that? We turned at my old house and went east again for a little while so I got to view all of my old stomping grounds. We rode down to 6200 South, over to Vanwinkle, then over to 500 East and up to the Gateway. Throughout the ride we also rode past or within a block of 4 of my old schools, a few of my friends neighborhoods, the neighborhood I lived in from grades 5-9, and the area Keith and I lived when we first got married.

After the ride I hung out for just a bit, then decided to ride my bike back to the starting line. By 8:30 a.m. I had ridden 30.5 miles. That felt really good. I love waking up early and doing so much before many people even wake up. I NEVER thought I could ever be a morning person, but I am now and I love it.

The kids also got to participate in the marathon. They ran a 0.62 mile children's marathon that had the same finish line as all of the adults. This means they got to run through the crowd of spectators. My kids LOVED it. They were really excited. Best of all they got medals for finishing. They were really proud of those medals.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here they are with their friend Deigan. Deigan's dad ran the marathon in 4 hours! Incredible!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Jillo said...

way to go April! You are awesome. I didn't know about the children's marathon. That would be totally fun for my kids to do sometime.

Amy said...

I really want to do this next year! It looks so much fun! Good job for completing it in time! You must tell me how you became a morning person because I am NOT, but really wish I was! I bet the sunrise that morning was a sight to see!

Renae said...

April it looks like it was so much fun! It would have been fun to do that with you. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

DottieLou said...

good for you... great fun for the kids.

Renae said...

Maybe we can get together one of these Saturdays after the retreat is all over and done with. I think that would be fun.

Boquinha said...

Wow, you are awesome. I have many friends who are running marathons and doing other things like that as a big life goal "before they turn 40" kind of thing. I have no desire whatsoever to do that--I'm not sure if that means I'm lazy or just not a sports-minded person. But I totally admire those who are (and morning people, too). I'm such a night owl (hoot! hoot!).

Piccolina Designs said...

Good job April. Like you, I love getting so much done in the morning before everyone else is up, especially a nice long exercise session. It makes your entire day just so much better.