Marathon???

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has done 13 marathons. Apparently he WALKED one of the marathons with his wife. I didn't know you could walk a marathon. I called the SLC Marathon office today to see how fast you would have to go. Apparently they have an early start at 6:10 a.m. and then you would have until 1:00 p.m. to finish before they open the roads back up to the public. That's almost 7 hours to walk 26.2 miles or 3.75 miles an hour. Hummm.... could I do that? You can actually finish after 7 hours, but it wouldn't be as much fun after the roads open up. I ran 2 miles in 28 minutes today... ha ha ha ha! Not very impressive. Could I keep that up for 7 hours?

Another option is that they have a bike tour. It's not a race, but you follow the 26 mile marathon course. You have 1:45 to complete it. I'm not sure I could go this fast or not, but I would have a blast trying. The idea of riding my bike through the wide closed off streets of SLC sounds so great. Ugh! I would love this. Maybe I should give it a try.

Does anyone want to try with me? I have a family conflict that day, but I think my hubby would forgive me if I really wanted to do this.

Also, if anyone wants to go to Planet Fitness with me for super cheap (maybe free), let me know.

7 comments:

Madeline Johnson said...

They used to have a hike that started at This is the Place monument in SLC and ended on Center St. in Provo. It was 50 miles. You started on Friday evening and walked all night and into the day Saturday. I did it three times. The first time it took me 19 hours, the second 17 hours, and the third time 15 hours. There was a guy who ran it in 9 hours. I think walking 26 miles in that few hours would be next to impossible. Of course all of this was years ago when I was young and in shape. Bruce has done it too.

Sharon said...

Yes you should do it... If I lived close I would do it with you!! how fun, especially if your with fun friends or family. Maybe Angie;)

Renae said...

April, I think the bike tour sounds fun. I think I would die trying to run, but I would totally be up for riding my bike. When is it?

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Renae, it's April 18th. Wanna do the bikes with me?

Renae said...

Yeah! I'm totally down. I've never biked that far, but I'm willing to give it a try.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Great Renae! I'll e-mail or PM you.

Jen said...

Ha - April, if I lived closer, I could totally run with you (maybe not in the marathon - yet -) I am not a very fast runner either. But I am just proud of myself for even running long distances at 30 - something. I NEVER ran before - did you ever run in high school or 20's years? I can't remember. Good for you - I hope your bum isn't too sore after the 26 miles! Wish I could do it with you too! Maybe we could work really hard and get in shape to run the one next year... Rooster and Wild Ape