They Closed My Gym

The other day I go to the gym and all of the lights are out. I figured the person who opens the gym must have slept in but thought it was weird the neon lights were all dark too. Later that day I drive by again to see what is going on and found out they closed my gym! It's my understanding they didn't even let the employees know until the day before. How sad to lose your job right before Christmas with no warning.

So, I went gym shopping. First I went to Gold's. It's a beautiful gym but SO EXPENSIVE and crowded. I really would love to go there because some of you go there, but I am way too cheap. Next I went to Planet Fitness (10 minutes away and right by Witmore Library). I did not expect to join but it's only $10 a month and there is no long term contract. It's just a month to month contract. They were doing a special where you could join for only $1 (it's normally only $39) so really there was no risk in joining. Planet Fitness is REALLY nice. It's got great machines, everything is new and clean too! There was one machine (an arc trainer) I really loved there. It is a cross between a stair stepper and an eliptical. I was suprised how high it wanted me to lift my legs. I felt like I got a great work out.

Still... I'm wondering what you like about your gym (if you go to one). If you go to Gold's I'm wondering why you chose that gym. I'm still shopping a little bit.

9 comments:

Emily said...

I don't go to a gym but my brother and sister-in-law go to Lifetime Fitness in south Jordan, it is SOOOO nice. I've never been to a fancier gym before. If I could afford it (and lived near it) I would go there simply for the marble EVERYTHING and fancy salon. Oh, and free baby-sitting. That's a must.

Amy said...

I wish I had advise on a good gym. I use to belong to an all women's gym in Sugarhouse and I really liked it there, but they closed too! I haven't been gym shopping since. I should get my butt in gear and get motivated like you!

Gina said...

April, I was SO thinking of you. My husband came home and told me that he heard about it on the radio. By the looks of the "old" gym, I am not surprised. There were not too many people there. I am sorry for you. Crazy! Ten dollars for the other though. You can't get better than that. I am still going to Life Center with my sister. I, however, got a deal that I couldn't get otherwise without her. Pretty much for me, it all comes down to money. Ten dollars...DEAL!

Boquinha said...

Sorry about your gym! Several years ago for Mother's and Father's day that year, we bought ourselves TWO elliptical machines. It totally works--we exercise together and it's fun!

susan said...

I have been at Gold's for 3 years. I don't love it(especially the long contracts to get a decent deal).I am looking too, because my membership expires on Jan 18. My husband wants to join Planet Fitness. It is right around the corner from his work but a little further for me. We are also considering a family pass at Gene Fullmer because my kids love to swim. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

If I had a gym that was clean, a dollar to join, and $10/month I wouldn't think twice about joining!

Angie of Down This Road Designs said...

I have a membership at Golds. I don't like it. This seems like a dumb reason to not like it--I have to see alot of stuff i don't want to see. So I have to go really early in the morning 5:00 a.m. when all of the older folks go. I seem to mesh with them better. And it really smells in that place! Golly I sound really negative don't I. I guess after all it is a gym. A plus is it is really close to my house.

Jen said...

That last comment made me laugh! I actually don't enjoy some of the older people because those ladies (in my gym) are the ones that prance around in the buck and are, sorry, a bit scary to look at. I've seen things I don't think I will ever be able to erase and would pay a million bucks if I could. I am such a ninny - I go undress/dress in the bathroom stalls - even though I look pretty smokin' hot compared to some of the ladies I've seen. (Not compared to very many, but compared to some) (o: Your new gym sounds like an awesome deal! I like the LA Fitness I go to - do they have those out there?

Stacy said...

We like the Lehi Legacy Center. The gym is good. I like the classes and sports for my kids. Their pool is awesome. There is not contract and we pay month to month. There is a non-resident fee, I think it is $4 more, not bad.
I'm sorry to hear about your gym.