Practical Presents?

Honestly, my favorite part of Christmas is GIVING presents. Really. However, I'm in the mood to talk about receiving presents today...

What kind of presents do you like? I personally LOVE practical presents. You could buy me a roll of toilet paper and I'd be happy. I'm slightly exaggerating but I really do love practical gifts. I love gifts that I will for sure use. I'm shocked when people complain about getting practical gifts. I think they are so GREAT! My sister-in-law Christina got me a gift certificate to Dream Dinners once. It took me forever to use it (don't ask me why) but I LOVED that present. Both my in-laws and parents buy us food storage and I love those gifts too.

I'm really curious how you all feel about getting practical presents. I'm also curious what your favorite types of presents are. I love to give practical presents but sometimes I worry others will think the presents are lame. Once I gave my MIL cleaning supplies. Her house is very clean so it definitely wasn't a hint to clean. I just thought it was a good gift... one I would have liked. That same year I had friends laughing at the practical presents they got and I got really nervous that my gift was bad.

Other gifts I like are ones that will entertain me, especially things like movie tickets that will not take up any room in my house :) I get so overwhelmed with the lack of storage space in our house. Once I got my sister and BIL tickets to Sundance for a guided night snowshoe tour to see Owls. I thought that was a neat gift because it's so different. They said they liked it. I hope they really did. I would have.

If anyone wants to e-mail Keith for me (hint), the present I want the most this year from him is either this pair of ice skates (size 9) or an annual pass for a couple to this place. I say a couple pass because Megan is free and Keith won't go.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I like them. Sometimes it's fun to get something just for fun--like my iPod Touch last year, totally not something i needed but it's been a lot of fun to have--but practical is winning out these days. We've asked Dave's parents to renew our membership to the Discovery gateway museum. Dave takes the boys there at least once a week, just rides the train (free) and goes for an hour or so (free) and it's the best. Especially in the winter, we need stuff to do since we can't be outside, and we just don't have room for any more toys!

Jillo said...

Well, this makes it pretty darn easy to figure out what to get you this year. Thanks!
I like practical gifts, but my favorite are things that I would never buy myself in a million years. That one thing that has no purpose other than to be cool or fun, that you can't ever justify buying it yourself. Last year I got my sister a window scraper with a built in glove. It was kinda spendy, but totally something she would never go out and buy and I think she liked it. She still uses it at least.

Amy said...

April, you are a girl that I can very much relate to! When I was doing the styling for Nordstrom, we used a pair of ice skates as a prop for a window display and when we were done with them, I bought them for myself! I have always wanted to take lessons. I looked into it several times so if you ever want to go, just give me a call! I LOVE to ice skate!

Madeline Johnson said...

I love practical gifts as well. I'm a fairly practical person, but do occasionally love something more frivolous. Jill, I think your ice scraper is both practical and something you wouldn't necessarily buy for yourself.

Boquinha said...

I think they're great, too. Heck, if someone wanted to pay a mortgage payment for us or get us grocery store gift cards, I'd be thrilled! :P But I like fun stuff, too. I'm not a person with many wants, so I think I'm difficult to buy for sometimes.

Jagged Rocks said...

I would have to say some pratical gifts can be ok. When I buy presents I look speciffically for who I am buying for. I try to look for things they would like, rather then things I would like. Sometimes it makes it hard though.

Gina said...

I love machines, though practical to me. I would love a sewing machine, a Pro-Vita Mix (blender), a Bosch mixer, a camera, a external hard drive. I love the very practical too. I love getting socks, cups, serving bowls, shoes (come on that is practical). I love money just to help in whatever category that is needed. Come on... I guess I just like getting. (Note: I love giving too) Hee hee

DottieLou said...

I have been thinking about your post all morning my Mom is one for buying practical gifts... two that come to mind that I was not crazy about but used anyway ... One was a metal shelf.. one that you use for foodstorage.. not really something I would have asked for but useful .. and the 2nd was a toilet..so we could put a second bathroom in the basement... Ill bet not very many people can say they got a toilet for Christmas

Jason & Kelli West said...

April, YES.. I too love practical gifts. They are ones that you always know for sure you will use. I always get lotions, and to tell ya the truth I have so many taht I havn't been able to use them all so they either go bad(with a funky smell) or they get thrown away. SO I totally 100% agree with you!!
Oh, and I always love reading your posts. They make me smile!!

Jen said...

Hi Wild Ape - I haven't visited for a while - I love reading your blog. It makes me feel like I'm hanging out with you again - only not quite. (o: I love practical gifts too. When we just get more stuff I feel overwhelmed when it's time to figure out where to put everything. I think your night time owl tour sounds like the coolest gift. "Experience" gift is a good word for it. Great memories, but no storage space needed. Perfect! It sounds like you are hoping for an "experience" gift with the ice skating. What a fun idea - I've been wanting to go ice skating lately too. Maybe it's all the snow we've been getting here! (o: Love ya lots!!