Rocks

We went to a rock shop in Vernal. It was a lot of fun. I love rocks. I used to collect them when I was little and I loved going to rock shops on our vacations. I think (but I'm not sure) we first started going in rock shops because my Grandma Thorup wanted turquoise or opals but eventually it was me asking to go to. My kids love rocks too too, although I didn't really know that until this weekend. Vernal, UT is called Dinosaurland, so this rock shop also had lots of neat dinosaur bones. Fun.

We bought some geodes and had a blast breaking them open when we got home. Geodes are ugly on the outside but really pretty inside. Here is a link to some really pretty geode pictures. Here is a link to a place you can buy little geodes to crack open like we did. I let Luke use the hammer and crack them open. He LOVED it! I've wanted to do this since I was little, so this was a lot of fun for me too.

Photobucket



Megan was in heaven with the rock bin. Here are the rocks she chose. I brought these to church and she was entertained looking at them almost the whole time. I think being able to delight in the beauty of a few small rocks is a very healthy positive thing.



Photobucket

Now I want to go find my own geodes. I think it would a fun adventure for the kids. I'm sure there are lots of places to find them in Utah. In a quick google search I found a place to go called Dugway Geode Beds. Another place I think would be fun to take the kids is U-Dig Fossils near Delta, UT. I heard about it while watching the Travel channel a long time ago. It's a place where you can dig up fossils. I'm pretty sure you only get trilobites. But I remember getting a trilobite at a rock shop when I was little, and I thought it was so cool to have a fossil from 500 million years ago. Anyone want to go with me to either place?

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a great idea for your kids! I can't wait until Emerson is old enough to start playing with little things instead of just eating them! I learned a lot about stones at my old job so I am fascinated by them as well!

Jen said...

We love rocks too! Sarah especially can't get enough of them - wish we could come with you to your cool places you found. We went to a rock museum just yesterday and the girls couldn't get enough. I LOVE the rocks Megan picked out - how fun for her!