Deep Utah Roots

So, I knew my roots were strong in Utah but *wow* they are REALLY strong. I've been extra interested in my family history in the past couple weeks after visiting Keith's grandma. I helped her (re)load genealogy programs onto her computer and decided to load them on mine when I got home. I've always been interested in family history but never did much more than read the histories from time to time. PAF 5 is actually kind of fun.

Here are five generations, starting with me.

Photobucket

Many of the 6th and 7th generations were Mormon pioneers who faced terrible persecution for their religion. They were forced out of many places by angry mobs and eventually went all the way to Utah to get away from it all. One grandmother was so sick she couldn't move. An angry mob kept coming back and finally set her house on fire. Fortunately others pulled her out in time. Another set of my grandparents walked to Utah with their tiny children, pushing their things in handcarts. This set of grandparents were in the Willey Handcart company which was caught in some terrible blizzards. Many many people died from the cold and lack of food on that trip.

These days most people are so tolerant of different religions (at least in countries like the US) that its hard to believe there was a time when so many people would torture, kill and persecute others just because they believed a *tiny* bit different. Incredible. Can you imagine being a Jew in Europe only 60-70 years ago?

Here is a breakdown of where my ancestors are from. No wonder my skin is so pale :)

4 generations of my family have all lived in Utah with exception to one grandma who lived in Idaho.

5 generations ago most of my ancestors were born in Utah. There are two that were born in Denmark and two more that were born in England.

6 generations ago, all but one of my great great great grandparents made it to Utah. This generation was born between about 1822 and 1860. That means a lot of them where Mormon pioneers. Some were very young when they came. Four of these grandparents were born in Utah but the rest were born in Denmark (4), England (10), Pennsylvania (2), Scotland (2), NY (1), Missouri (1), Canada (1), Nauvoo (2), Iowa (1), Wales, (2) and Maine (1).

7 generations ago (my generation being the first, my parents the second) many of my ancestors were Mormon pioneers that came to Utah. 21 of my great great great great grandparents were born in England, 12 of those came to Utah. 7 were born in Scotland and 5 of them came to Utah. 4 were born and died in Wales, 8 were born and died in Denmark. 1 was from Ireland and came to Utah. The rest came to Utah or died along the way from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky.

My grandparents have told me some of my ancestors were royalty, and one grandpa was the captain of either the Mayflower or one of the other two ships. I can't quite remember.

2 comments:

Angie LeBaron said...

That is really cool April! I had to laugh though as I thought "that is just what April needs...one more thing to do on the computer." But really it is one of the worthwhile things to do.

GCOLO said...

Great post! I have a descendant chart of John and Caroline Thorup.