30 Days of Science - Day 22


What is this, you ask?

It's three glow sticks that Megan is swirling around.  I set the aperature on my camera low and turned off the flash to get the picture to work.  We had a lot of fun with the glowsticks the other night when the LeBaron cousins came over. 

If you read the link for Plasma TVs on day 19, you would understand better how glow sticks work.  On that link there was a picture that shows how atoms emit light.  Light sticks work from a chemical reaction. The light from that chemical reaction is called chemiluminescence.  When the chemicals are mixed, the atoms are excited, causing electrons to rise to a higher energy level and then return to their normal levels. When the electrons return to their normal levels, they release energy as light.  If you want to read more you can read under the header, How Does it Work on Steve Spangler's site. 

When Luke chooses books from the library, he gets books I'm sure most people only read if they have to.  This last week Luke chose a book called, How Atoms Work.  This type of information used to be so boring to me.  It still isn't my favorite but I have loved understanding more fully how things work.  I'm absoulutely fascinated with scientists and how they ever came up with theories on these basic principles in the first place.  It's amazing.

I thought it would be fun to make our own glow liquid.  I started googling it and have decided it's probably a bit too dangerous for little kids.  So for now, this YouTube video will have to do. 

0 comments: