Reed Payne

Photobucket


My uncle, Reed Payne, passed away last week. He was my Grandma Park's only brother. I got teary at times during the funeral thinking of their original family together again. I'll really miss Reed. He is such an incredible man and I loved the times I was able to be with him. He will always have a special part in my heart. He played the piano at my wedding which meant so much to me. I wanted him to play at my wedding since I was a little girl and he played at my one of my aunt or uncles weddings. I think it was Aunt Andi's. Besides my wedding, my favorite time with him and my aunt Ruth was in Oregon. Keith and I were driving down the coast and stopped at a beautiful beach near California. I wanted to get our picture taken so I started walking towards the only other couple on the beach. Keith told me not to, but I went anyway. I'm so glad I did because it turned out to be Reed and Ruth!!! It was so much fun to see them there. We went to lunch at Pizza Hut and had a great time before we were on our way again.

My Uncle Reed wrote the music to the song, "When Joseph Went to Bethleham". It's published in the LDS Children's Songbook and is sung all over the world each Christmas. At his funeral, his son said that their family wondered if he had to a chance to meet and talk with Joseph yet and ask him if the words of the songs portrayed his true feelings. It gave me chills thinking of that because the idea of him doing that is so exciting. I love you Uncle Reed. I'll miss you. Give my Grandma a hug and kiss for me. I miss her so much.

You can listen to the song here. Also, I found out during the funeral that Reed's cousin (which would be my Grandma's cousin) composed the song, "Lord, I Would Follow Thee". Now that song has extra meaning for me.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm teaching that song to the Primary kids right now! How neat. I'm sorry your uncle passed away, but it sounds like you have some neat memories to think about and remember him by.

Amy Herzog said...

I am sorry for your loss April. I hope your heart heals soon!

Boquinha said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle, April. Nice post--he sounds like a nice man.