Thank You Veterans!

My heart goes out to all of the veterans in our country and in other countries who have fought for good. This week I have talked to three different veterans about war. Two of them fought in our current war. It's so interesting to learn from their perspective. They have a passion and a commitment to a good cause. I honestly don't know that I could have served my country the way they did. I know I would never want to. The veterans I talked to this week feel strongly the people in Afghanistan need us. It's so interesting to hear what they saw. I'm trying to understand what is really happening over there but it is overwhelming to me. I trust however, that our government wants to do what is right. There are many different theories on how to do the right thing. I hope the people that make the decisions will make the best choices. Again, I'm so thankful for all of those who have fought for our country and for the benefit of other cultures.

About 10 years ago, I became fascinated with WWII history, specifically with the Holocaust and other war crimes such as the Bataan Death March. I have a very hard time talking about anything that has to do with pain, so I'm not sure why I could read so much on the subject, but I did read a lot. For a couple years I spent a great deal of my free time reading about this history. Most of all, I think I was fascinated with the people that overcame the incredible challenges they were faced with. I am amazed with the people that could stay close to God in such horrible times, and I am so grateful for the lessons they teach me on adversity. I'm also equally fascinated with the POWs from the Vietnam war. Gerald Coffee is my hero in every way. He is amazing.

I think this memorial (below) is a powerful artistic reminder of what happened in Germany, not so long ago. I can not imagine how many more would have been killed if it weren't for our wonderful WWII veterans.

Photobucket I didn't take this picture. I'm not sure who did. I feel bad not giving credit to the photographer but I want to post it anyway.

I have so much I could say. I'll end again, thanking our veterans. I can not imagine what our country would be like with out you.

9 comments:

Boquinha said...

Nice post, April. Cool sculpture, too. I didn't know that you were interested in WWII. I remember reading The Diary of Anne Frank as a child--it has always haunted me. I'm interested to study it all again with Mark and the kids. We're doing American Revolution right now . . .

Boquinha said...

Huh. Right after I posted this, I saw an interesting fact by one of my online colleagues:

There are only 10 living veterans worldwide who fought during World War I.

Four live in Britain, two in Australia, two in France and two in the United States -- 107-year old Frank Buckles and 108-year-old John Babcock of Spokane, Washington, who served with Canadian forces during World War I.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Wow. You know, it's so important we meet all the WWII vetrans we can and ask them LOTS of questions while we still can.

Amy said...

What a thoughtful post! My great uncle fought in WWII and would never speak of it. It was only a few weeks before his death that he started opening up, telling stories and sharing experiences along with enduring the great depression. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be a part of something so horrible yet revolutionary. I will be very sad when that generation is gone because I really do feel that they are such special people and had to endure so much in their lifetime. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for veterans!

Emily said...

My dad has a good friend in Albuquerque who was actually on the Bataan Death March. I cannot fathom surviving something like that.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Wow Emily. It would be so great to talk to him.

susan said...

I love reading your blog. I love the pictures too.

DottieLou said...

what a great post.. thx for the idea.. my husbands uncle died in the Battan Death March, and his father was a POW.. incredible story if you ever want to read it .. DY

Gina said...

As always, you are so insightful. I am not sure how you post everyday. I am not sure how you come up with all the great ideas that you post about. You are amazing. Thank you for this post. It was good to hear today.