The Tetons

Photobucket

Picture by Trey Ratcliff (an incredibly fascinating photographer with a very unique style)

The Grand Teton National Park is by far my favorite place on this earth. I love the feeling I have when I'm there. Life feels so good in and around these mountains. I spent two summers working there and I miss it terribly. I'm so grateful for my parents supporting my decision to move there the day after I graduated from high school. My dad was a river guide on the Snake River when he was younger so he understood what a neat opportunity it was for me to work there.

I went to the Tetons every year when I was young. Maybe even every year since I was a baby. Unfortunately, this has slowed down tremendously since I got married. I've only been once every 2-3 years in the past 11 years.

Some of my favorite memories of this area are:

Canoeing on the lakes and river with my family.
Hiking to Hidden Falls and Taggart Lake with my family.
Night hikes with friends.
Long hikes (12-26 miles) with friends over mountain passes.
Swimming in the lakes and river.
Jumping off the small bridge into the river at Oxbow bend.
Food fights :)
Shopping in Jackson Hole.
Relaxing in the hot pots with friends at night in the cold.
Dancing on the side of the road with friends.
Moose outside my door.
Going to church in the lodge where I worked.
Crying with the girls.
Ice Cream in the grille.
Playing cards in the lobby by the fire.
Laughing at people who didn't know what the "white stuff" was on the mountains.
Meeting new people.
Experiencing new things.
Camping under the stars with friends.
Being with my grandparents.
Whitewater rafts.
Seeing a bear for the first time.

I could go on and on...

5 comments:

Amy said...

I love Jackson Hole and the Tetons! Growing up in Montana, we also did a lot of vacationing here every summer. I have some really good memories too! Wes and I went there for our honeymoon and loved every minute of it! It can be a fun place for the whole family or a romantic getaway with your honey!

Emily said...

I've never been there but it looks amazing! My brother and his wife went a few years ago and still talk about how amazing it was.

Angie of Down This Road Designs said...

That looks amazing. The closest I ever came was Driggs and Tetonia (I think) and that was to pick Huckleberries. My grandparents and aunts and uncles always went hiking in the mountains in search of the tiny little huckleberries. My parents still go all the time. I do like the fresh--thus I never really had much in my bucket.

Boquinha said...

Eek, a bear?!

I'm so not a camper. They do look beautiful, though. I bet you couldn't ever live far from the mountains.

Anonymous said...

Trey is my favorite photographer!