The Evolution of Style

Megan cracks me up. I say that all the time because it is true. She makes me laugh a lot. I love her cute little personality. She loves dolls, anything pink and dressing up. I feel like I get to relive my childhood through her. I love that she loves the things I liked.

This is going to be a long post with lots of pictures showing the evolution of Megan's style. I hope you enjoy looking at these pictures and they bring a smile to your face. Here is about when it all began. Only 1 year old and already experimenting with fashion.

Photobucket

Soon Megan was really into her pink hat and gloves. For whatever reason she usually only wore one glove. The toilet one is especially funny to me. She was just so happy where ever she was as long as she was dressed "cute". Well, her version of cute.

Photobucket

Megan started loving pink really early. Here she is with her pink slippers from Aunt Angie and her newest hair style. Do you see the band in her hair? That became a very popular style for her. She put one on her head ALL THE TIME at this age. Isn't that a funny style?

Photobucket

This picture (below) was taken on a pretty warm spring day. The boots were simply a fashion statement. Notice she has another band in her hair. By the way... I do fix her hair, but sometimes I don't fix it until we go somewhere.

Photobucket

When Megan's second birthday came along her grandpa (my dad) bought her a bunch of high heel shoes. She LOVED them and could walk in them really easy. She could even run in them! She still loves those shoes 2.5 years later.

Photobucket

I usually don't let Megan wear her crazy outfits in public but sometimes I do. I figure you have to pick your battles. This was one of those days I let Megan wear what she wanted to swim lessons. I was laughing the entire way there. Megan was so proud of this outfit. I know she felt beautiful.

Photobucket

Anything can be a fashion accessory, even a bowl. Notice the black crayon on the wall behind her. Bad Megan!

Photobucket

I don't remember how this happened (below) but I'm glad I got a picture. Again, I'm sure she thought she looked beautiful.

Photobucket

After a summer of trips to the ER, Megan got this crazy black eye (below on left). I don't even remember how!!! I guess you stop remembering after so many accidents. The outfit she is wearing in the black eye picture is from her Aunt Angie. It's small on her now but she still loves it.

The picture on the right is just before we went Christmas Tree hunting. I scrapbooked that picture. You can see it here.

Photobucket

My boots and our tree we hunted down while she wore the outfit above (right)...

Photobucket

Boots from Santa, a play dress from her cousin Noelle, and bracelets she made herself. Notice the little Belle doll she is holding. She had a doll like that in her hand for about 2 years straight.

Photobucket

Don't you love the socks on her hands?

Photobucket

Here is another picture before another annual Christmas Tree hunt. She insisted on wearing her panda bear like that.

Photobucket

Her outfits are starting to get cuter but at this stage she had to have 100% pink on most of the time. She was also really into sleeveless dresses which I'm not a real fan of. I let her wear sleeveless around the house or to the pool, but otherwise I make her put on a shirt which has caused some tears.

Photobucket

The trouble with the outfits at this age (and still) is they look pretty good and I worry people will think that I have no style or I'm neglectful letting my little girl go out of the house with unmatched clothes or weird hair styles. I wouldn't go somewhere with her hair exactly like it's shown on the left (below) but I would let her have several colors of barettes if it made her really happy. The outfit on the right certainly isn't what I would pick but it looks ok with exception to the unmatching minnie mouse shoes. I need stickers that say "I dressed myself".

Photobucket

Megan was so proud of this outfit. Notice this is the skirt her Aunt Angie made, that she is wearing in the black eye photo above.

Photobucket

In case you are curious, all of these pictures are in order of her age. This outfit (below) is one of her newest creations. Isn't she lovely with the stockings on her head? Again, she was so proud of this look. She chose to pose looking at a book, probably so she would look like a mom.

Photobucket

If you thought the picture above was hilarious, you'll love knowing what she was thinking when she got dressed in the picture below. She put her nylons around her waist then tied them to her shoes and around her wrists, Then she hung her dress around her neck and tucked her shirt in the top of her dress. She only had her underwear on right. She told me it was an invention for holding clothes because sometimes it's too hard to hold all of your clothes a the same time. Isn't she brilliant? I love this girl.

Photobucket

Here is the most recent picture from a couple days ago. Isn't she cute with her Uncle Matthew? If you look close at the picture with Luke you'll see she has bright green socks and sparkley silver shoes. I totally approve of the shoes but I'm not sure about the rest of the outfit. It makes her happy though.

Photobucket

As I said before, sometimes I let her wear her creations out in public. Actually, if the outfit isn't too bad I let her wear what she wants quite a bit. Sometimes I have to draw the line because of where we are going. I can't tell Megan her clothes look funny so I simply say, "that's too fancy for where we are going". It's disappointing to her but she totally gets that you can't be dressed too beautiful and fancy at certain places.

Awwww... this post makes me happy.

9 comments:

Jillo said...

This post is just what I needed today! Thanks for sharing it. I love Megan and her great fashion ideas. I hope Lucy turns out exactly the same. My favorite is the snow hat and gloves at the pool. Her little face is priceless, you really can tell she feels like a million bucks. =)

susan said...

Sooooo cute! I love that you let her be herself. My daughter is just starting to want to pick her own clothes- now that I have read this post I hope I will let her and grab the camera!

Boquinha said...

Great post, April! I love it! It is inspiring. You're a sweet mom.

Emily said...

So funny! I love the hat at the swimming pool. That takes a lot of creativity!

Angie LeBaron said...

That just cracks me up! I love it!!! Oh Meg!

Nora Mair said...

You can never go wrong with mr. potato head glasses--and mittens to the pool, but of course, every time I go!

Barb said...

April, she's just precious! Shannon has a lot of her own creative fashion ideas and I just let her run with it. She's developed a pretty darned good sense of style these days.

I love the pic with Uncle Matthew, that's beautiful. He's pretty cute himself ;-)

Lynnette said...

I love it! These pictures just scream personality! I also love that you let her be herself - you're a great mom!

DottieLou said...

such a creative mind... this post made me smile